Although gaining traction day by day, they are still fairly new compared to other treatments like crowns or fillings; thus leaving many individuals wondering how they work and what purpose they serve. Here’s what you need to know about how they work and what they can do for your smile.
Porcelain veneers, also known as dental porcelain laminates, are an ideal way to restore your smile and boost your confidence levels. Not only are they thin and natural-looking, but they offer durability and strength that can last for many years.
While veneers are a bit more expensive than traditional treatments, their value lies in the fact that they require far less maintenance due to their innovative design.
Porcelain veneers stand up to everyday wear and tear while maintaining a beautiful shine throughout the entire process. Many people find that they are an investment worth making when considering the overall satisfaction of having an improved smile.
What Problems Can Porcelain Veneers Treat
Traditional porcelain veneers are a versatile and effective cosmetic dentistry solution to improve the appearance of your teeth.
Porcelain veneers can address various aesthetic issues like discoloured teeth, broken, chipped, or crooked teeth, as well as gaps between teeth resulting in a brighter, more structured smile.
In addition to these worn dental issues, a dental veneer can be used to provide straighter front-facing teeth. Veneers may also be used to restore an aged smile by covering discoloured or yellowing natural dentition with bright white caps.
Modern-day porcelain veneers are designed and tailored specifically for each patient so that their results last for years.
How to Get Veneers?
If you’re considering getting dental veneers, it’s important to understand the various steps involved in the process.
When you and your dental professional have concluded that veneers are the best option to address any issues with your teeth or smile, a series of appointments must be arranged.
When getting tooth veneers, it takes at least three visits to your dentist over a period of one month or above. Additionally, you should expect periodic follow-up appointments after that in order to ensure you are content with the results.
If you wish to whiten or bleach the natural teeth that won’t be receiving veneers, this should take place prior to obtaining temporary veneers. This will allow your dentist to perfectly match the shade.
Porcelain Veneer Procedure
Preparation for the veneer procedure is an important step and must be considered carefully. Here at our practice, we recognise how valuable and important your time is; that’s why we strive to ensure that our patient’s veneers preparation process runs smoothly and efficiently.
During the procedure, we’ll use specialised tools specifically designed for veneers to make sure everything is installed properly. The veneer process starts with a full examination of your teeth to help determine if the veneers are right for you.
Following the exam, our team will work carefully with you to craft the perfect veneers that match the shape, size, and colour of your existing teeth while still achieving the look you desire.
Then the tooth enamel will be trimmed down by about half a millimetre so that your new veneers can fit on them. Before you leave the surgery, your dentist puts temporary dental veneers on your teeth, so your teeth stay protected before the permanent veneers are ready to be fitted.
Your veneers will be test-fitted but not bonded until both you and your dentist are happy with their look and fit – then, they’ll be firmly secured into place!
They will be bonded to your natural teeth via special dental cement. Traditional porcelain veneers typically can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years with proper care and regular visits to the dentist.
Following your veneer treatment, it is essential to take the necessary steps to take good care of them. That includes taking special precautions such as avoiding tooth whitening products and taking care when brushing so as not to damage the surface of the veneers.
Cleaning your mouth after every meal will help keep bacteria away, lengthening their overall longevity. Additionally, regular dental check-ups with your dentist are also helpful in ensuring that no damage is caused by incorrectly taking care of them.
With simple upkeep and a few short visits to the dentist, you can ensure that they stay looking just as great as when you first got them!
How Long do Veneers Last?
Taking excellent care of your porcelain veneers will ensure they last up to ten years or longer!
Porcelain is an ideal material for dental restorations since it offers a similar texture and durability to natural teeth, making it highly compatible with gum tissue.
If you practise proper care and follow the necessary precautions, veneers are almost as durable as your real teeth! With this kind of strength, you can feel confident in the results for many years to come.
When your dental veneers suffer from damage or cracking, make sure to contact a dentist right away in order to properly assess the issue and either repair them or have them replaced.
When broken veneers are neglected, they can cause serious harm to the tooth enamel or, even worse – the root of the tooth. Therefore, it is essential that any issues with your veneer be addressed immediately for optimal oral health!
Benefits of Veneers
- They restore your smile and boost confidence levels
- Thin, natural-looking shells that require little maintenance
- Durable and strong enough to last for many years
- Enjoy a brighter, more structured smile with improved aesthetics.
- Feel good about yourself knowing you have an improved smile.
- Delight in the satisfaction of having a long-lasting solution for restoring your beautiful smile.
- Feel secure in knowing that your veneers are virtually undetectable and look just like natural teeth.
- Experience the freedom of being able to enjoy all kinds of foods without worry or fear.
- Reduce dental problems caused by worn or damaged teeth, such as cavities or cracked enamel.
- Help protect tooth enamel from further damage due to their strong, durable material.
- Prevent gingivitis and other gum diseases through improved oral hygiene.
- Enjoy a more balanced diet with increased comfort while eating.
- Improve speech impediments due to misaligned teeth through correction with veneers.
Overall, porcelain veneers offer a great solution to individuals looking to improve their smile while also gaining the many health benefits they offer. With proper care and maintenance, veneers can last for years, giving you a beautiful, dazzling smile that will bring out your true self-confidence!
Risks Associated with Porcelain Veneers
- Once the process is complete, it cannot be reversed.
- Investing in veneers is more expensive than opting for composite resin bonding.
- If a veneer chips or cracks, there is generally no way of repairing it.
- Following the enamel being removed, your tooth can become extra sensitive to hot and cold foods or beverages.
- Before committing to veneers, you should note that the colour of your new teeth may not entirely match the hue of the rest of your teeth. Additionally, once it is in place, there’s no way to change its shade. So if a brighter smile is what you seek, be sure to whiten it prior to receiving veneers!
- Although rare, it is possible for veneers to come loose. To prevent this from happening and ensure your oral health remains intact, avoid biting down on hard objects such as nails, pencils, or ice cubes; that amount of pressure might be too much for the veneers to bear.
- Teeth with veneers are not exempt from decay, which can sometimes lead to the need for a crown in order to cover the entire tooth.
- Veneers are not recommended for those with teeth weakened by decay, fractures or large fillings, nor for people whose enamel is too thin to support them. Similarly, anyone who has any active dental issues, such as gum disease, should avoid opting for veneers.
- Porcelain veneers are an unsuitable option for individuals who clench and grind their teeth, as this can lead to fractures or chips in the material.
Porcelain veneers are an efficient way to improve the aesthetics of your teeth and restore your smile. They offer durability, strength, and an improved appearance that can last for many years with proper care.
Through careful preparation and aftercare instructions, you can ensure that your porcelain veneers stay in top condition for as long as possible. Whether it’s restoring an aged smile or covering up chipped or broken teeth, porcelain veneers provide a versatile solution that is sure to leave you feeling confident in your look.
So if you’re feeling insecure about any aesthetic issues with your teeth, porcelain veneers may be the perfect option for you. Contact us on (02) 9054 5281 today to discuss how we can help provide an improved look and feel for your oral health! At Boutique Dental Care, our expert team can help assess whether veneers are the best option for you and answer any questions you may have.
The Success of Dental Veneers According To Preparation Design and Material Type
Clinical Longevity of Ceramic Laminate Veneers
Improving your smile with dental veneers